Are you asking about this new proposal (which still needs an amusing name),
or the original GREASE mechanism?

The original GREASE mechanism was only targetting ClientHello intolerance
in servers. It's true that it uses specific values, and indeed there is
nothing stopping buggy implementations from treating them differently. The
thought then was ClientHello intolerance in servers is usually just
accidental. It takes a certain willful ignorance to forget the default in
your switch-case, and then go out of your way to special-case things,
rather than recheck the spec as to what you're supposed to do. It was also
meant to be lightweight (a one-time implementation cost and a one-time
allocation). It's imperfect, but it does seem to help with the problem.

This new proposal is targetting ServerHello intolerance problems. Rather
than fixing a set of values initially, it regularly rerolls random values
over time, with no fixed pattern. It should hopefully be more resilient to
this sort of misbehavior. On the flip side, it is more work to maintain and
only implementations that update sufficiently frequently can participate,
whereas, in theory, anyone could deploy the original GREASE.