On Fri, 2018-06-15 at 13:00 +0100, Matt Caswell wrote:

> On 15/06/18 12:37, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> > It feels that's this is too little too late. Implementations which
> > support PSKs will switch to TLS1.3 irrespective of this proposal.
> > If
> > this proposal takes on, we will have some implementations which
> > support
> > universal PSKs and others which don't leading to interoperability
> > problems which we wouldn't have otherwise.
>
> I'm not sure how many TLS1.3 implementations there are out there that
> also have TLS1.2 PSK support. OpenSSL is one of them. We have APIs
> for TLS1.2 PSKs and different APIs for TLS1.3 PSKs. Currently
> applications
> using the old APIs can still expect those PSKs to work in TLS1.3. In
> light of this proposal we are considering removing our TLS1.2 ->
> TLS1.3
> PSK code and instead restricting applications using TLS1.2 PSK APIs
> only TLS1.2 until this is resolved (although unfortunately that would
> mean removing it from our upcoming LTS release).

In gnutls [0] we have the same APIs for PSK under TLS1.2 and TLS1.3 and
the transition is quite smooth, but in contrast to David's algorithm,
we  select a PSK before selecting the ciphersuite in order to make that
work. The problem I see is that PSKs are restricted to SHA256 KDF and
thus AES128 which is somewhat ugly but we can live with it until we
provide a better way to mark a specific PRF in our key files.

regards,
Nikos

[0]. https://nikmav.blogspot.com/2018/05/gnutls-and-tls-13.html (PSK
key exchange)