I'd like to distinguish between two different questions:

1. Whether or not the IETF should recommend that people stop using older
versions of TLS.
2. Whether or not vendors should stop accepting/supporting older versions
of TLS.

The former one of these is just exhorting people to stop, which people can
comply with or not. The latter has real impact, especially for something
like a browser where ou (and counterparties) just get involuntarily
upgraded.

In the latter situation, we need to be pretty sensitive to wide use to
avoid bricking people. In the former situation, however, part of the
purpose of the IETF deprecating these protocols is to tell people who
haven't gotten off that we think they should, and that's a judgement partly
driven by uses (otherwise you look silly) but not entirely so. Given that
there is a good alternative (i.e., TLS 1.2) that's straightforward to
deploy, I'm not sure that the fact that a lot of people are running downrev
versions means we shouldn't say that the IETF no longer considers that good.

-Ekr