> I'm somewhat dismayed by the firm recommendation to use the HMAC
> mechanism,

Yeah, this could probably be loosened somewhat.

> which doesn't seem particularly robust.

It's designed to be fairly robust.  Of course, we may have done things
wrong.

> Offhand, it seems like replays are possible if you allow the possibility
> of the node crashing and dumping state.

Unless I've missed something -- they are not, assuming you have
a sufficiently strong random number generator.  The challenge mechanism
rebuilds the shared state in a secure manner, and the index mechanism
ensures that an (index, seqno) pair is never reused.

> The same applies during a rollover of the 32-bit counter.

You generate a new index when the counter overflows, and send a new
challenge.  First point of Section 4.2 of the HMAC draft.

-- Juliusz