Hey EKR,

Sent from my mobile device

> On Dec 18, 2018, at 4:48 PM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:54 AM Kathleen Moriarty
>> <kathleen.moriarty.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just a clarifying question inline

>>> Yes, I'm quite aware of this fact.

>>> As with all things security, it depends on your threat model. If the
>>> attacker you
>>> are concerned with is between you and the DNS server, then in fact it does
>>> provide protection.

>>> I don't think this is a very accurate characterization of the situation. At
>>> present,
>>> the vast majority of DNS information is not DNSSEC protected [0], and yet we
>>> have to rely on it. If there's a "blindly trusting" in this discussion,
>>> it's that. DNS
>>> over HTTPS is designed to improve the situation, though of course it's not
>>> a panacea.
>>>
>>> However in *this* case, it actually covers a pretty large fraction of the
>>> threat
>>> model, because (1) many attackers are close to the user and (2) if the
>>> attacker
>>> controls your DNS server, then they learn which site you are going to in
>>> any case even before you send SNI.
>>
>> This is written as a pretty broad statement.  Did you intend to say that the
>> attackers for this threat vector are close to the user or many attackers?
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question you are asking. A lot of the threats

It’s a broad statement.  If I were to give that acting in a CISO role, it would
sound like FUD and I either wouldn’t get very far or wouldn’t get anywhere
towards goals the next time around.  Crisping it up to the exact threat, point
of risk, quantifying, and prioritizing would help.

I’m hearing from concerned people in the threat detection/response side on this
(eSNI) who are not willing to speak up.  This point is also where they sit on a
network , typically one they manage and users consent to monitoring in their
employment agreement.  They are watching for attackers, including nation-state
threat actors.

When ‘many’ attackers are listed, it sounds ominous.  However, if it were
quantified and the exact threat were listed, then judgement calls could be
made.  Maybe the threats you are referring to are far worse than nation state
supply chain attacks or are ones that TLS as a WG prioritizes..  It would be
good to either leave out generic statements or to list something more specific
(or a list or point back to the draft that covers this topic).

It’s likely that incident responders will just need to adapt, but keeping a
prioritized list of threats and point of defense could be helpful to many.

Best,
Kathleen