> On 25 Mar 2019, at 19:38, Hubert Kario <hka...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Monday, 25 March 2019 19:31:24 CET Yoav Nir wrote:

>>> how is it property of device? at best, it's a property of a LAN. And a LAN
>>> may have multiple Internet uplinks, every other connection may end up
>>> with a different IP (albeit from a small pool), so a public IP of any
>>> particular connection does not reliably indicate public IP of subsequent
>>> connections.
>> It’s perhaps a property of the device at the current connection
>> configuration. Pretty much any consumer device will have a preferred
>> network where the default route is. Any phone with a metered and a
>> non-metered connection will prefer the non-metered connection, and PCs will
>> use the link where the default route is.  It is a reasonable approximation
>> to assume that the web service connection to whatismyip will follow the
>> same path as your other TLS connection.
>>
>> Servers may have more complicated routing tables, where the “regular” TLS
>> connection might be using a dedicated link while the connection to
>> whatismyip is going to the “Internet”.  I don’t think this is the scenario
>> that this draft is working on.
>>
>> An interesting twist even for consumer devices may be where one of the two
>> connections chooses IPv4 while the other chooses IPv6.  In that case, they
>> might end up on different links if, for example, the metered connection
>> offers IPv6 while the non-metered connection does not, or vice versa.
>
> I already gave you an example of situation where that's not the case.
>
> You can have a router with two Internet links that routes the connections to
> different ISP either based on a round-robin fashion or as a fallback when a
> connection dies.
>
> Neither of which would be visible to the device connected to a WiFi behind
> such a router. The client in the context of this I-D.

True.  As far as NAT detection, the answer would be the same — such a client is
behind NAT regardless of which Internet link the router chooses, so keepalives
are necessary anyway.  For the other use cases, I’m not so sure.  If a client
has two “real” IP addresses, what is it supposed to do about identifying ASNs?
Deciding whether to reuse connections to DNS is directly related to the
presence of a NAT, so it’s the same as NAT detection.