I really want the savings on the wire that TLS flags extension provides – and
so I think it’s really good for the future cTLS but I’m not sure when I get to
use it in TLS 1.3 negotiation.  It goes in the clientHello message, but how
will I know that the server uses this extension?  I envision a future where we
will add the flags extension along with the more expensive 4-bytes version for
a REALLY long time.

Is there a plan / ability to turn off the 4-byte version?

(BTW: I’m happy if people who really work the details of TLS tell me I
mis-understand.  I hope I do.)