On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 5:23 PM Watson Ladd <watson=
40cloudflare....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> Suppose the following sequence of events happen:
>
> 1: A CA uses a new intermediate for reasons (no longer cross-signing, etc.)
> 2: A site gets a certificate from the new intermediate.
> 3: An older firefox version connects and thinks it knows all the
> certificates in the world.
>
> This would seem to break and it wasn't clear to me how this would be
> handled. Though as Martin points out this extension is merely codification
> of an occasional practice, so maybe this case does actually work out.

I think the client would have to fall back and retry the TLS connection
without requesting that intermediates be omitted. In general, I think this
is the only reliable answer as AIA-chasing doesn't always work. (Either the
AIA server can be down, or the chain can be from a private CA that doesn't
support AIA.)

Cheers

AGL