On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 21:57, Richard Barnes <r...@ipv.sx> wrote:

> I don't think anyone's asking for these cases to be differentiable on the
> wire.  The question is whether the *server* can differentiate, in
> particular, the application running on the server.
>
> --Richard

Exactly. I hope it's not controversial that the TLS server knows what's
going on / what it's agreeing to. The specific restriction I was suggesting
is that a server shouldn't accept multiple PSKs with the same PSK_ID.
That would require the server to do things like trial decryption, and has
so many ways it could go wrong. The PSK Importer draft is designed to make
it easy to take a single PSK and PSK_ID and diversify them safely.
Using one PSK_ID for multiple PSKs has no benefits and lots of risks.

Regards,

Jonathan