> > (*): Even if we optimize the CID away with cTLS the question about the
> > security implications will surface again.

> I think that cTLS is the answer to the size issue.  But there, the rule tends
> to be that removing from the wire doesn't also remove from the canonical
> value that is processed by the stack, so we > might be able to send without a
> CID, but re-insert the value before processing.  As the canonical form, DTLS
> always including the value seems fine to me.

On: "the rule tends to be that removing from the wire doesn't also remove from
the canonical value that is processed by the stack"

I fully agree, and whether true or not, that's the reason why so far I thought
that an AEAD that's agnostic of compression techniques
and operates as-if there's always a full header on the wire, is more robust
than what we have at the moment.

Regarding re-introducing the explicit CID in DTLS 1.3: My impression so far was
that DTLS 1.3 attempts to already
incorporate some record compression ideas through the flexible header format,
and I'd find it cleaner to either explore
and use those ideas fully (including implicit CIDs, for example), or leave them
for c[D]TLS entirely and stick to a single
header format for DTLS 1.3. But that's subjective.

Apart from that, thanks Martin for sharing the paper
https://felixguenther.info/Q20_RC.pdf in the other thread,
I think it might be useful for this thread, too.

medium. Thank you.