Jonathan Hoyland <jonathan.hoyl...@gmail.com> writes:

> When someone tries to copy a message from a SCRAM handshake into some
> GSS-API run on a single TLS connection I want to be sure that it will be
> rejected, without having to understand exactly how every version of SCRAM
> and GSS-API ever (including ones that will be drafted in the future) works
> (not to mention every other protocol past, present, and future that uses
> the same string.)

If I understand you correctly, this behaviour was a design choice of
SCRAM (and indirectly GS2) -- it was designed so that SCRAM native in
SASL would produce the same tokens as SCRAM used via GSS-API, for the
same TLS session.  Whether that was a wise decision remains to be seen,
but I don't think it will come as a surprise for anyone, nor is there
any publicly documented attack based on this property that I am aware
of.

/Simon