On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 6:57 AM Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> RFC 7525 (the TLS BCP) has a section [1] with “weak” recommendations to
> use OCSP and OCSP stapling. We are changing these recommendations [2] in
> view of OCSP stapling in TLS 1.3 and the obsolescence of RFC 6961.
>

> But this raises a larger question: many client-side implementations
> soft-fail if they don’t get an OCSP response within the handshake, i.e.
> they just ignore the problem. As far as we understand, this makes OCSP
> stapling completely ineffective for what it’s trying to solve.

Well, many browser implementations have just stopped using OCSP entirely,
in favor of centralized revocation information a la CRLSets, etc.

I don't know what non-browser implementations do.

> So for the new BCP, we have three options:
>
>    - Add a SHOULD-level requirement (for TLS 1.3 implementations,
>    possibly also TLS 1.2 implementations) to fail the handshake if the OCSP
>    response is missing or invalid. (As far as we can tell, RFC 8446 is silent
>    on this.)

I don't think this is a good idea.

>    -
>    - Remove the whole discussion of OCSP, saying that in its current form
>    it’s not adding value.
>    - Maintain the status quo, where many people implement OCSP on the
>    server side, but clients rarely benefit.'
>
> I think if we are to have anything here it would need to actually describe
the situation and why people soft fail and/or are moving away from OCSP.

I might be able to provide some text from the browser perspective, though
perhaps AGL or Carrick could also chime in?

-Ekr