> On Feb 20, 2022, at 4:21 PM, Martin Thomson <m...@lowentropy.net> wrote:
>
> I missed this text in draft-ietf-tls-tlsflags:
>
>   A server that supports this extension and also supports at least one
>   of the flag-type features that use this extension and that were
>   declared by the ClientHello extension SHALL send this extension with
>   the intersection of the flags it supports with the flags declared by
>   the client.
>
> While sloppy on my part [1], I want to make it clear that this is a
> show-stopper for me. Requiring an echo prevents a flag extension from
> attaching semantics to a "response".

Based on discussion in the draft-kampanakis-tls-scas thread, there’s an open
issue against the draft to track this clarification:

   https://github.com/tlswg/tls-flags/issues/19

Hopefully we’ll have a PR to clear this up soon. Relatedly, we’re going to
pause this draft and draft-ietf-tls-cross-sni-resumption until we get some more
implementation experience. Stay tuned for another message on that.

> I agree with Ilari's earlier point that these should work just like
> extensions.  If the server has no need to echo a flag, it should not be
> required to do that.  That allows the flag value in a "response" to carry
> semantics.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> [1] I missed this in the second WGLC, though in my defense, I don't think the
> resolution and changes resulting from the first WGLC were very clearly
> communicated.

Indeed. I take the blame for not clearly communicating the end result of the
first WGLC. That’s partly why we ran a second WGLC.

Best,
Chris