Hi Martin,

I think we are generally in agreement, but I want to push back on the argument
that the PQ slowdown for a page transferring 72KB is going to be the problem. I
will try to quantify this below (look for [72KBExample]).

Btw, if you have any stats on Web content size distribution, I am interested.
Other than averages, I could not find any data on how Web content size looks
today.

Note that our paper not bashing TTFB as a metric, we are just saying TTFB is
more relevant for use-cases that send little data, which is not the case for
most applications today. Snippet from the Conclusion of the paper
> Connections that transfer <10-20KB of data will probably be more impacted by
> the new data-heavy handshakes
This study picked data sizes based on public data on Web sizes (HTTP Archive)
and other data for other cloud uses. Of course, if we reached a world where
most use-cases (Web connections, IoT sensor measurement conns, cloud conns)
were typically sending <50KB, then the TTFB would become more relevant. I am
not sure we are there or we will ever be. Even the page you referenced (thx, I
did not know of it) argues " ~100KiB of HTML/CSS/fonts and ~300-350KiB of JS."
from 2021.

[72KBExample]
I think your 20-25% for a 72KB example page probably came from reading Fig 4b
which includes an extra RTT due to initcwnd=10. Given that especially for the
web, CDNs used much higher initcwnds, let's focus on Figure 10. Based on Fig
10, 50-100KB of data over a PQ connection, the TTLB would be 10-15% slower for
1Mbps and 200ms RTT. At higher speeds, this percentage is much less (1-1.5%
based on Fig 9b), but let's focus on the slow link.

If we consider the same case for handshake, then the PQ handshake slowdown is
30-35% which definitely looks like a very impactful slowdown. A 10-15% for the
TTLB is much less, but someone could argue that even that is a significant
slowdown. Note we are still in a slow link, so even the classical conn
transferring 72KB is probably suffering. To quantify that I looked at my data
from these experiments. A classical connection TTLB for 50-100KB of data at
1Mbps and 200ms RTT and 0% loss was ~1.25s. This is not shown in the paper
because I only included text about the 10% loss case. 1.25s for a 72KB page to
start getting rendered on a browser over a classical conn vs 1.25*1.15=1.44s
for a PQ one. I am not sure any user waiting for 1.25s will close the browser
at 1.44s.

Btw, the Google PageSpeed Insights TTFB metric which includes (DNS lookup,
redirects and more) considers 0.8s - 1.8s as "Needs improvement". In our
experiments, the handshake time for 1Mbps and 200ms RTT amounted to 436ms and
576ms for the classical and PQ handshakes respectively. I am not sure the extra
140ms (30-35% slowdown) for the PQ handshake would even throw the Google
PageSpeed Insights TTFB metric to the "Needs improvement" category.