Hello! I filed this issue a few days ago:
https://github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/1111

The issue being that I was looking for a way to make tmux act like vi in
terms of modes: once prefix is pressed it should stay in that state until I
press escape, quite like in vi you enter different modes (insert, visual)
and stay there until you press escape to return to normal mode.

While I did find a workaround, it'd be nice to have it as a native feature
in order to make the vim pardigm further translate into tmux.