Hi Andrew,

I'd be more inclined to tackle this at the shell level.

Firstly, what harm does sending a few extra carriage returns to the shell
do?  If you really want to avoid that, you could run something to consume
them, e.g.

    tail -F /var/log/messages & tail=$! ; cat >/dev/null ; kill $tail

(terminate 'cat' with Ctrl-D and the tail will be tidied up for you)

Another approach I sometimes take to make stale messages gradually scroll
away is something like:

    (while sleep 10 ; do echo ; done) & tail -F /var/log/messages

Naturally you should tune the sleep amount according to the frequency of
your messages and how often you look at that particular window.

Hope that helps, regards,

Scott