Thanks for the pointer.

Using PuTTY, here's the output:

$ cat
^[[A
^[OA

That's cat, return, Up, return, Ctrl+Up, return.  The A on a line by itself
was placed there by the return after Ctrl+Up.

Since you mentioned the terminal, I checked the Translation section and was
using "UTF-8".  I changed it to be "ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe)".
 Then just tried the "Default" profile instead of the profile I had for the
host.  All of them gave the same result with both the cat command outside of
tmux, and with attempts to resize the pane within tmux.  No luck so far.

Thanks,

Mike