Here's what I have in my .tmux.conf file:

bind | split-window -h -c "#{pane_current_path}"
bind - split-window -v -c "#{pane_current_path}"

I think according to the release notes that should open the new pane in the
current directory, but it isn't.

I also pressed prefix-: and entered the following:
split-window -h -c "#{pane_current_path}"
That also opened a new pane, but not in the current directory.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.