Hi Nicholas, thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear to begin with - the monitor going black happens
only when tmux is loaded - if a tmux session is not open and on the active
terminal, the monitor stays on indefinitely as desired.  When tmux is open,
the monitor times out after 15 minutes and goes black.

I'm running CLI only CentOS 6.5 on a myriad of different platforms,
hardware, and monitors - there is no desktop or GUI.

I've done a lot of searching around online and tried a number of CentOS
based preferences, but they seem to be overridden by tmux, somehow.

So back to my original question - does tmux have a powersave or screen time
out preference?  If not, can anyone think of a reason the system might
behave differently if tmux is open vs. not?

Thanks in advance everyone!