Yanking to the * or + registers in vim won't work because the vim instance
is on a remote machine that doesn't support X.  I am not sure what w/e is.

The problem exists regardless of whether mode-mouse, etc. are on or off.
Quick tip for people with mode-mouse, etc. on: holding down shift disables
them allowing you to perform an X selection (of course, X knows nothing
about any splits, so you might want to zoom the pane, resize-pane -Z, if
you have splits).