[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hallo Ken,

Hello :-)

Thank you for this mail, it's really nice to hear from others on this issue.

> the issue you are bumping into is the largest problem in using screen
> scraping for integration purposes and the only reason we stay away from
> using the emulator this way. And why any sane mind should also ...

:-D   You are right.

My problem thought is that my As400 administrator does not want to give
me any other access, as she is "afraid" I might screw things up... funny
isn't it?

Screen scraping is my only way of automating some work for now, so I
must stick with it, even if I would really like a better programmatic
interface.

> The only error the emulator can provide you with is problems in the
> protocol. E.g. you try to insert a value in the third field and there is
> no third field. Even, if you implement your script wrongly and use key
> event injection, your script would look like
> 'value1[tab]value2[tab]value3[enter]'. Now, what happens if my screen
> only has 2 fields? The result would we that value3 ends up in field 1
> and value2 in field2.

Yup.

> On the other hand, to use the emulator as e.g. test script executor and
> to track error conditions in the applications at the 400 side, one would
> have to implement screen recognition functionality to, indeed, detect
> X-II or X-System condition or to detect popped-up windows or other not
> fore-seen screens in the wanted scenario. Note however that those last
> situations you have to implement application specific scenario's because
> every application shall handle those error conditions in different ways.

Ok, I get it.

Fortunately there are not many screens I have to deal with, so I will
put in checks to the screen before and after each insertion of set of
values, and just before each enter. It's suck, I know, but it should work.

> The solutions: use true API's for integration purposes. My 2 cents worth

Sigh :-(

             - verba volant, scripta manent -