Hello Lothar, Daniel and Jeroen (who always listens but rarely interferes
;-) )

If you could see me right now, I have this e-mail on my left monitor and
Lothar's mail on the right one. I do not know why I did not use two monitors
before, I now cannot do without it! And I did it about a year ago, when we
were starting to support two displays for FXPopup (most of you will
remember). I then sent a patch that would do the job for W32 and am proud to
say it was my first patch that was readily applied to FXPopup. So, Lothar,
some things get better (not that it was my patch, it was heavily changed
later anyway, but the 2 monitors reminded me that). My opinion on this was
submitted to this list in the last six-monthly complaint of Lothar: I do not
see any more any reasons why there is no CVS and no "todo" list, even one
without time marks. As long as Jeroen was employed at CFDRC I could clearly
see his point: FOX was his wallet, which he gracefully shared with us. Now,
I think that Jeroen has developed an agoraphobia. I think he is afraid that
everyone will be poking him to correct stuff in the CVS and do what's on the
"todo" list. I had this conversation before, I cannot make anybody see the
glass half full - not half empty.

I vote for the CVS and I totally agree for anyone to use whatever I have
ever submitted. I must say here that Niall did not do just some small
extensions, but opened the TnFox CVS some time ago (13/11) so his experience
is more than useful. The way I see it, is that Niall has shown the way. If
one does not like Jeroen's way, he is free to branch Fox into anything he
likes. Now, I must pose this question: If we make the CVS, how many FOX
users will follow? I do not know the answer. If we take this step, we must
make it certain it succeeds. There are two important points that we must
take into account:

1) Who will be responsible to maintain the CVS. Jeroen will never do that,
obviously. I do not know if I can help, because I do not know how :-/ You'll
probably flog me for this one, but I have to be honest.... If we do it, then
someone who has the abilities and will must do it. So we need one or more
leaders. Then, we have to decide on the license, if it is going to be the
same as for FOX, and if FOX will remain free forever. I am in favor of both,
just for the record.

2) Let's not fight Jeroen, let's attract him to the CVS gently. Fighting
Jeroen is bad, working along with him will be good. There may be many people
that will prefer to stick with the old way, since it works until now.
Remember, there are big companies that use FOX also, such as Abaqus, you do
not know it unless you use it. Will they switch to the CVS version? I do not
know (in fact, Sander, could we have a poll on this?). This will lead to
setting up the CVS, and make it work in such  a way that Jeroen will
eventually (and shortly) join. So the transition will have to be without
Jeroen, but always open for him to join. How can this be done? I am not
sure. What do we need the CVS for? More widgets or better FOX core? What is
the most expedient of the two? If it is widgets, then we should go for it
right now, and make a CVS of all the features we want, along with FOX core,
but leave it intact for a while, until people start to use the CVS.

I have to say that I encourage the CVS completely. I do not see another way
that FOX life can be prolonged to the future. Also, I do not like the fact
that there is a thick haze over Fox's future, that Jeroen is not willing to
clear. But I think that Jeroen will be convinced that a CVS will work
fruitfully for Fox as it does for so many other projects.

Reagrds,

Dimitris

PS:

BTW:

1) Have you seen this?
http://fox-toolkit.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FOX_Style_Guide
2) Is this maintained by anyone? http://sourceforge.net/projects/foxgui/
3) Have you tried to find fox using sourceforge's search?