Bill D'Anjou wrote:
Just curious why Debian isn't one of your preferred distro's

Bill

I prefer Slackware, but I also look after CentOS and FreeBSD machines. Probably about 50 or 60 in all.

Regards,

Rick

Well I do run Ubuntu on the laptop, does that count ?

I was never a fan of rpm or apt-get distros. I always found some incompatibility with something. At least with Slackware I can get the source and compile my own, which I have found, doesn't always happen on RPM, apt-get or FreeBSD systems.

I also found that Debian tended to be a little slow to update to newer releases, at least in the past, and that just didn't work for me either.

One of my friends is an avid Debian user and I believe a package maintainer for some package or another. Nothing against it, just didn't float my boat.

I'm old school though. I was the first HP-UX 9000 admin in Canada and I've used Slack since before 0.92 Linux kernel. I used to have code in the kernel (Adaptec 1450 SCSI driver if I remember correctly) as well and from that I just prefer to be able to compile from source and have it "work".

My partner is a hardcore Fbsd fan and he hates it when he needs to install Linux (Slackware always) to run some app correctly, Asterisk springs to mind as a good example, as well as some more esoteric GIS (mapping) apps.

Regards,

Rick