Mark that I also use a caching DNS server (tinydns), which is a good thing to have in this case as you might end up with an unresponsive system otherwise.

Thanks,

Martin

Am 30.12.2008 um 02:09 schrieb Tren Blackburn:

What switches are you using to call tcpserver with for your qmail- smtpd process?

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Koch <jeffk...@intersessions.com>
To: toaster@shupp.org <toaster@shupp.org>
Sent: Mon Dec 29 23:05:30 2008
Subject: Re: [toaster] Why - Received: from unknown

The receiving mailserver can do reverse DNS perfectly - just doesn't seem
to want to do it during qmail smtp connections. I checked the
/etc/nsswitch.conf file and changed it from:

hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

to:

hosts:      dns files

That didn't seem to help either. Do you think a reboot or a service restart
is necessary after making this change?

At 11:49 PM 12/29/2008, you wrote:
>Jeff Koch wrote:
>>Hi:
>>Does anyone happen to know why all emails received by qmail are reported >>as 'Received: from unknown' even though the sending mailserver clearly
>>identifies itself and has reverve DNS setup?
>>Here's a good example from an email I just recieved:
>
>That suggests the reverse dns lookups are failing on that server. Have you >tried some lookups manually to see if they are working? I had an issue >similar to this just recently with a new server and it took a while to >realise that I had made a mistake in the nssswitch.conf file and it was
>trying to resolve everything via ldap instead of via dns.
>
>Shane

Best Regards,

Jeff Koch, Intersessions