David Soroko wrote:

> I am observing the following behavior which I do not understand (Tomcat 3.1
> and 3.2b6)
>
> The setup:
>
> The appdev Hello sample servlet to which the method  init (ServletConfig
> config)
> has been added. It just prints a line of text.
>
> To the servlet's web.xml the <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup> element
> has been added
>
> To the server.xml the Context element has been added:
>        <Context path=""
>                  docBase="webapps/myapp"
>                  debug="0"
>                  >
>         </Context>
>
> What I see, is that  when Tomcat starts the init() method is being invoked
> twice.
>
> Is this a correct behavior or is there something illegal about path="" ?

David,

Try as I might, I could not reproduce this with Tomcat 3.2 -- it always seems
to call my init() method once and only once like it is supposed to.  The only
thing I can think of that might trigger what you are seeing is if you edited
the file $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml instead of the web.xml inside your web
application -- that would cause the servlet to get loaded once per web
application (at least under 3.1).

If this is not what you did, could you please zip up a copy of the web
application directory you are using, so that I can reproduce exactly what you
are seeing?

> David Soroko
> Manna Inc.

Craig McClanahan