"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> See intermixed below.
>

> On 4.0 stability?  I don't think so.  You should consider me to be biased
> (Catalina has been *my* baby, after all :-), but I've seen the insides of 3.2
> and 4.0 in a lot more detail than I ever hoped to over the last month.  I have
> come to the following conclusions:
>
> * The servlet container code in 3.2 is *substantially* better
>   than the servlet container code in 3.1 in terms of spec conformance,
>   number of bugs, functionality, and performance.
>
> * The servlet container code in 4.0 is "more better" than 3.2
>   on spec compliance, at least as good on bug counts, and
>   at least as good on performance (soon to be better, because
>   Remy is working on optimizations on the HTTP/1.1 stack).
>
> * The servlet container in 4.0 sports many additional features
>   over 3.2, and only lacks one at the moment -- the ability to
>   run a web app under a security manager.  That feature can be
>   added in 4.1, as soon as someone who understands this stuff
>   (Glenn, hint hint :-) can help make it happen.
>
> * The JSP code in 3.2 and 4.0 is pretty equivalent, because we've
>   been tracking the bug fixes pretty well in parallel.

I don't see why use of the Java SecurityManager can't make it into
4.0, the code to support the SecurityManager is already in the
container and the Jasper code that was ported from 3.2 already had
support for the SecurityManager.

I have been holding off on reviewing 4.0 security until there was
an Apache connector.  Virtual Hosting is a very important feature
for me and I was waiting on the web connector so I could test both
Security and Virtual Hosting at the same time.  Things like setting
different java policies for different virtual hosts.
(I have also written two small apache modules, so I might be able to
assist in testing/debugging the Apache connector)

Just waiting on the green light that says mod_warp is ready to test.

Glenn

Glenn Nielsen             [EMAIL PROTECTED] | /* Spelin donut madder    |