(EVERYONE: Please, PLEASE, leave the threats at the door.  Honestly,
raising the general level of antagonism is not getting us anywhere!)

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, marc fleury wrote:
> Aaron the bundling of APIs (JSP, EJB) that don't work together (JSP doesnt
> rely on EJB, and EJB doesnt rely on JSP) is PURE aggregation.  It is useful
> for the beans.  There is never CMD in the aggregate work.
>
> I am sorry but the line in the license is extremelly clear (yes specially 2b
> rickard).

        Marc, nothing in this entire discussion has convinced me that the
GPL is "extremely clear" on anything - in fact, I find that quite the
opposite to be true.  No matter how many times you state "that is not
true" or "the text is clear" it does not convince anyone else of anything.
Perhaps you could substantiate your arguments slightly more?
        You seem to think that containment should be strictly interpreted
as "a line of code from program X is placed in program Y".  However, that
is not clarified anywhere in the GPL.  There is nothing in the wording of
the license that leads me to believe that "containment" refers to "lines
of source code" as opposed to "entire products".  What leads you to this
conclusion?
        And once again, the deciding factor is not what Marc Fleury
thinks, or even what the jBoss Board thinks, it is what the users,
observers, and lawyers think - what the "community" thinks.  After all,
nowhere in the license does it state that the composition of and/or
opinions of the board will never change.
        Don't you find it just a little bit worrisome that no one who has
spoken up from any of the Apache projects believes that jBoss can be
legally integrated with Tomcat or Avalon?  Even if every single one of
them is wrong, don't you think this unanimous opposition from the groups
we are trying to work with is going to cause problems with the adoption of
the integrated work?

Aaron