Environment:
   Release: Tomcat 3.2
   JVM Release: 1.2.2
   Operating System: LINUX
   OS Release: 6.2
   Platform: 386

Synopsis:
Config files with Multiple User IDs

I am running Tomcat on a UNIX-like (LINUX) server and have a practice of having one
user ID (softowner) that is the owner of the Tomcat configuration files, class files,
and application libraries.  In general any file that doesn't need to be modified by
the running application.  I use another ID (dataowner) as the effective user of the
running server.  This owns the data files and work files.

As Tomcat 3.2 works I can give dataowner write access to webapps/work, I give
softowner write access to webapps, webapps/classes, webapps/lib, webapps/htdocs , etc.

My problem is that I both softowner and dataowner need write access into the config
directory because the program creates config files as the server starts.  but
softowner needs write access to work with othe config files.

I would like to have a way to suppress generation of config files or explicit
invokation of the capability.  I also want better seperation between what the running
program needs write access to and what it only needs read access to.
Title: BugRat Report # 546

BugRat Report # 546

Project: Tomcat Release: Tomcat 3.2
Category: Feature Requests SubCategory: Enhancement
Class: suggest State: received
Confidence: public

Submitter: Z_Tomcat Alias ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
Responsible: Z_Tomcat Alias ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

Synopsis:
Config files with Multiple User IDs
Environment: (jvm, os, osrel, platform)
1.2.2, LINUX, 6.2, 386

[...]