I take your message to mean that you have an external load balancing
device.  We're doing the same thing. We're using mod_jk, and the lbworker.
You'll need to define all your servers in workers.properties. We set the
weight much higher on the local server because we have IP based sticky
session in our load balancers and they normally get it right.

The documentation covers how to do the configuration, but doesn't actually
explain how the lbworker can be used in an external load balanced
configuration.  Has it been added in the new documentation waiting in CVS?
If not, I'd be willing to write up a section on it.  Anybody interested?

Paul Frieden