Jon Stevens wrote:

> i'm re-doing it this weekend and i don't want to have to
> merge conflicts.
>
> yes craig, i will keep the same level of functionality
> and simply add clean ness, ease of building, ant 1.2
> features and more functionality.

Please give us a chance to discuss before comitting?

I've spent the last two days building a meta-build system.  It consists of
an abstract definition of the system that you want to build, in XML.  A
concrete user profile, also in XML, binding names to locations to where you
want them to reside on disk.  And, finally, an XSLT transform which will
convert these two into a script designed for your native platform (I've
been focusing on with Windows and Linux).  One could easily image extending
this with a graphical front end.

One thing that would make life much easier would be if we could agree on
some simple things, like the names of targets - it is "package" or "dist"?
Where to find outputs.  How to specify inputs (environment var / properties
file / class path).

What we have now is Jon doing all of "his" projects one way and Craig doing
all of "his" projects another.

I know that Jon keeps telling me that I'm focusing on the wrong things, but
I would like to get to the point where the various projects are
standardized building blocks, with each project describing in a machine
readable fashion their dependencies.

- Sam Ruby