I have been following this insane tomcat 4 vs tomcat 3 debate with increasing amazement.  I cannot understand why this has become such a big issue.  Attempting to tell an open source developer what to write is pretty much counter to ESR's cited prime motivation for open source development - scratching a personal itch!  If Costin (bless his soul) wants to make TC3 a better product, then he has my own profound thanks!

As a user of tomcat (I use tomcat every day as part of my job) am very keen to see tomcat 3.x development continue as long as tomcat 4 falls short of release quality.  Until IIS integration and SSL client certificate support are considered release quality in tomcat 4, I am keen to see them developed on tomcat 3.

In fact, I believe that the time to abandon tomcat 3 development will come at around the point that new features are able to reach release quality as fast on tomcat 4 as on tomcat 3.  The technology used in tomcat 3 is perfectly current.  Forcing people into participating in development of a bleeding edge product in order to add features to tomcat seems pretty mercurial.

Tomcat 3 is just becoming a premium quality product.  There are two or three features still to be added to completely satisfy my own requirements of a servlet container.  If we abandon development now in favour tomcat 4, tomcat will remain a bleeding edge product and may never reach the mainstream release quality that I for one would like to see.

What I suggest is this:

Whoever wants to develop on tomcat 4 does so.

Whoever wants to develop on tomcat 3 does so.

Versions are managed in a similar manner to the linux development/stable trees, with code from TC4 merged back into TC3 whenever the TC3 guys feels that this enhances the product.  (And no complaining about the tomcat 3 guys 'copying' the TC4 guys - that is kind of the point of open source!)

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Aaron Knauf
Implementation Consultant
Genie Systems Ltd
Auckland, New Zealand
Ph. +64-9-573 3310 x812, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.geniesystems.com

Jon Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

22/12/2000 11:26
Please respond to tomcat-dev