on 1/15/01 3:09 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Of course, what you don't like is either "not proposed or agreed" or "not
> justified " ( the -1 votes against you ) or "not agreed by the PMC".
>
> And what you want is "what the community want".
>
> --
> Costin
>
> P.S. - ops, it seems you got me again - into answering. Sorry.

Costin, this has been like you since I have known you. You are an excellent
developer in that you can work on your own, but when it comes to working
within a project or group of people where you need to ask the opinions of
others and then take those seriously, I haven't seen you doing that at all.

Before Sam points it out, I will state that I am also guilty of doing the
same thing. However, I am trying to work on fixing that (admitted) portion
of my personality defect. What are you doing about it?

You think that by fixing Tomcat 3.x to be re-factored code is a good thing.
I agree. However, it doesn't fall in line with continuing the development
indefinitely because major changes mean the potential for major bugs and
further support issues as well as a split project's resources.

Again, where does it stop? Maybe if you had stated that you wanted to
eventually switch to working on Tomcat 4.x, I would have had some sort of
affirmation that you would eventually stop on Tomcat 3.x and start on Tomcat
4.x, but that has not occurred. In fact, quite the opposite. You have stated
that you don't think Tomcat 4.x is any good and you also stated that you
won't work on it.

Given those variables, I feel that I need to step up and draw the line
somewhere and ask people to vote on that decision. That is what is going to
happen at the PMC meeting.

-jon