BugRat Mail System wrote:

> Bug report #771 has just been filed.
>
> You can view the report at the following URL:
>
>    <http://znutar.cortexity.com/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/771>
>
> REPORT #771 Details.
>
> Project: Tomcat
> Category: Bug Report
> SubCategory: New Bug Report
> Class: swbug
> State: received
> Severity: critical
> Confidence: public
> Environment:
>    Release: 3.2.1
>    JVM Release: JDK1.3
>    Operating System: Win2k
>    OS Release: Pro
>    Platform: Intel
>
> Synopsis:
> RequestDispatcher.forward() broken with custom ServletRequest implementations

> When chaining services via RequestDispatcher.forward(ServletRequest req,
>ServletResponse res), there is no way to modify the data in req.  For instance, if I
>wished to perform alterations on the request data and create my own implementation of
>ServletRequest. I cannot then use an instance of my implementation this with
>RequestDispatcher.forward() because the first thing it attempts to do is cast the
>ServletRequest to org.apache.tomcat.facade.HttpServletRequestFacade. This makes for
>some rather tame and incomplete chaining.

That's how it should be according to the Servlet 2.2 spec; you're only
allowed to pass on the request/response you received when you use the
RD to invoke another servlet.

However, Servlet 2.3 relaxes this and allows you to do what you want.
I suggest you take a look at the Proposed Final Draft, available at
Sun's Servlet site: <http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/>. Tomcat 4.0
implements this proposal.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com