Hi,

> and guess what I could not find any reference for an "MS-Author-Via: DAV"
> HTTP header field being required by a WebDAV implementation.

I think it is just an MS extension. So it's not required. But it also should
not cause any harm if you add it.

> Could you please provide a reference to where in the WebDAV related
> standards this has been defined ?

I have seen it the first time in the webdav module in apache.

> That's a problem of the MS webdav tools, not using the "DAV:" header for
> detection but instead expecting a Microsoft Products only non
> standardized header parameter, isn't it ?

Yes, I agree entirely  with you. Especially since MS was involved in the
webdav standardization process... But unfortunately most of the current webdav
clients are MS products and these programs expect this additional header. If
you can reduce useless requests to the server by adding this line, don't you
think it would be a good thing?

Bye,
Ulf