Quoting "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> org.apache.catalina.facade.XxxxxFacade

Nice package name. I wonder where you got it :)

>* Pass the internal object to the constructor (the facade
>  will be a wrapper around it).
>
>* Implement the appropriate servlet API interface (so the
>  facade object can be passed to application components)
>
>* For each public method in the interface, implement a doPrivileged
>  block that calls the corresponding method on the underlying
>  internal Catalina object.

+0.

I would wrap the request and response using the facades at the last moment,
just before going into the filter pipeline.
That way, we only need to implement the standard servlet API functions in the
facade.
Would that work ?

> RECOMMENDATION:
>
> Therefore, I feel we should implement this change in Tomcat 4.0, and
> create a
> new beta to allow testing of the results.  This can be done in the same
> beta
> release with the changes for the Valve API if that is also agreed upon.

Since it's the API changes day, may I then suggest that we just merge back all
the changes done so far in 4.1, which deal with replacing the resources package
with JNDI context. It works, and it's solid. I don't feel like we should leave
a whole deprecated package in there, that we'll have to support anyway.

> However, I'm currently committed on other activities.  In order to
> achieve these
> changes in a timely manner, I'm looking for a volunteer to implement
> these
> changes, if the proposal is accepted.
>
> Comments?

Remy