It's always going to be the case that the Avalon and Tomcat releases
don't sync up perfectly.  How would you feel about making any Tomcat
changes necessary to support the Avalon patch, but maintaining the
Avalon block itself outside of the main Tomcat 4.0 module?  That way the
Avalon support could be updated independently for new releases of Avalon
*or* Tomcat.

Aaron