apache will also be faster for serving static pages, thats what apache is
good at. Tomcat CPU will depend on the task its doing and whats spare CPU is
avaliable. I dont think there is a limit in java or tomcat

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Bezdicek [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 02 March 2001 09:50
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Just another Benchmark

Hi,

we tried the apachebench on our solaris system, to check out
differences between architectures and thereby we found a quite
interesting behaviour.

When serving a static page, apache uses the whole machine
resources while tomcat isn't (CPU usage 100% to 20%) and for
maybe this reason isn't serving at the same speed as apache.
Is there a limit somewhere in the java net or in tomcat?

We used apachebench with 'ab -c 10 -n 50000
Config:
apache with mod_jk, and ajp13 to tomcat.
Solaris 8

regards, tom
------- Apache 1.3.14 serving static page -------
This is ApacheBench, Version 1.3c <$Revision: 1.38 $> apache-1.3
Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Copyright (c) 1998-1999 The Apache Group, http://www.apache.org/

Server Software:        Apache/1.3.14
Server Hostname:        solaris.lgsoft.at
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /start.html
Document Length:        2669 bytes

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   98.686 seconds
Complete requests:      50000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      146255850 bytes
HTML transferred:       133455338 bytes
Requests per second:    506.66
Transfer rate:          1482.03 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     0    43
Processing:     1    19  1289
Total:          1    19  1332

------- Tomcat 3.2.1 serving static page -------
This is ApacheBench, Version 1.3c <$Revision: 1.38 $> apache-1.3
Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Copyright (c) 1998-1999 The Apache Group, http://www.apache.org/

Server Software:        Apache/1.3.14
Server Hostname:        solaris.lgsoft.at
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /pltest/start.html
Document Length:        2669 bytes

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   509.877 seconds
Complete requests:      50000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      143600000 bytes
HTML transferred:       133450000 bytes
Requests per second:    98.06
Transfer rate:          281.64 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     0   299
Processing:    94   101   128