I picked 5 minutes because that seemed to be the default timeout for Apache
httpd.  If I open telnet session to Apache and never enter any data the
connection times out after 5 minutes.

In Apache this is configured in httpd.conf as

#
# Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
#
Timeout 300