Hello,

I'm attempting to use an alternative naming service with tomcat 4.x and
running into some difficulties.
This may be a result of my lack of understanding on how to go about this
but please read on...

I start tomcat 4 with both -nonaming and -Dcatalina.useNaming=false
added as parameters to the catalina run batch procedure.

I have added my own naming jar files to the system class path.

When tomcat starts up it fails in StandardContext with the reflection
error complaining about the signature of the method
call "createNamingContext" (Follows later).

If I remove the jar file containing my naming support all works are
normal.

e.g.::

Exception during startup processing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: java.lang.VerifyError:
(class: org/
apache/catalina/core/StandardContext, method: createNamingContext
signature: ()V
) Incompatible argument to function
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.ObjectCreate.start(XmlMapper.java:611)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchStart(XmlMapper.java:412)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.startElement(XmlMapper.java:91
)
        at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.startElement(XMLReaderAdapter.ja
va:329)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1444)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.content(Parser2.java:1695)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1461)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.content(Parser2.java:1695)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1461)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.content(Parser2.java:1695)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1461)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.content(Parser2.java:1695)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1461)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Parser2.java:499)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Parser2.java:304)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(XMLReaderImpl.java:433)

        at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.parse(XMLReaderAdapter.java:223)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:228)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:625)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:595)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:176)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:157)

I would have thought with naming disabled then the routine wouldn't be
called, however, I noticed a further
scary thing - there are references throughout StandardContext.java that
refer to the org.apache.naming service provider -

Is this part of the problem? Could it be that somehow the JVM is finding
references to the 'native' naming servive that conflict with the one I'm

trying to use and I'm getting burned.

If so how do I 'plug in' an alternative naming service to
org.apache.naming with tomcat 4?

-Thom

--
http://www.borland.com/newsgroups