I was tossing this idea around as well after I couldn't get mod_webapp
to work successfully with Tomcat 4.

Tomcat might be good for HTTP but it's probably faster to employ mod_ssl
to do HTTPS.

In the proxy setup like that, what would happen to the SSL connections?
Would Tomcat have to do that kind of thing or not? And if that's done on
Apache side, what would happen to ServletRequest.isSecure() call? With
mod_jk, that's catered for...

Bojan