On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Kief Morris wrote:

> Jon Stevens typed the following on 06:50 PM 4/10/2001 -0700
> >
> >Craig, does this mean you (finally) aren't using tabs anymore? :-)
> >

> So, are spaces kosher? The Sun coding standards document (which is the
> official Jakarta guideline?) says either is OK, but the mixed tabs and spaces
> format I've found in the Catalina code I've mucked with is a PITA. Can I just
> set my editor to use 4 spaces for tabs and reformat files I work with
> accordingly, without spawning a jihad?
>
> Kief

Spaces are definitely kosher for Tomcat code.

The coding standards document does say either is OK, and prior to about
nine months ago I didn't care (Emacs took care of the details for me when
I pressed the TAB key once).  At that point, I switched to space-fill --
but of course lots of the Catalina code preceeded that change.

If you want to change a source file that you're currently working on, I
would say go for it.  A suggestion, though, would be to do the untabify
change as a single commit (with a message like "cosmetic change only, no
functional change") so that we can still clearly identify functional
changes in the other commits.

Craig