From: Arieh Markel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 10:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Solaris Sparc Performance Problem

Here is what I would do to see the differences:

        . on Solaris, run the application through truss

        . on Linux, run the application through strace

This should yield information about where the time is being spent.

I am also wondering whether the Solaris machine is properly configured
with regards to things like nameserver lookups, proxy setups, etc.

Arieh

> Mailing-List: contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]; run by ezmlm
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas E. Hornig)
> Subject: Solaris Sparc Performance Problem
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
amon.Central.Sun.COM id
LAA19808

> I posed this problem to the good folks on the users list.  While they are
great bunch, and several offered some suggestions, I was unable to get any
help
from them so I'm trying the dev list now.

> The problem in a nutshell is that requests I make to tomcat running on a
Solaris Sparc from a Windows client take at least 0.15 to 0.20 seconds.  If
run tomcat on a Linux PC, or use a Linux PC as a client instead of Windows,
the
turnaround time is more like 0.01 seconds.

> Here are the particulars:
>
> * All machines are on the same 100Mbit ethernet.
> * Tomcat is running standalone.
> * I tried a couple of different Sparcs, a 420R and an Ultra 5, neither
with
any load.  No difference.
> * I wrote a simple Java program to use as the test client so there are no
browsers involved.
> * I tried various different Java VM releases on the Sparcs, 1.2.1 and
1.3.0
with no difference seen.
> * I tried a couple different PCs (NT4 and Win2000) and found the same
results.
> * Other programmers here reported slowness using VisualBasic as the client
instead of Java (that's how I got started investigating this).  Java Web
Server
2.0 also appeared to have the same problem as tomcat.  I have not personally
been able to verify these assertions.
> * The results seem very repeatable.
> * I used a generic tomcat 3.2.1 for the server and hit the
examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample URL for these tests.

> This is a very serious problem for us.  The above mentioned VB client that
we're developing can make dozens of calls to the server per screen, so those
0.2
second delays add up.  I like Linux a lot myself but the bosses here feel
more
comfortable with more traditional business models, and besides shouldn't
Java
run best on a Sparc with Solaris?  I am perplexed as to what the problem is
and
would greatly appreciate any help or ideas I can get.

--
 Arieh Markel                           Sun Microsystems Inc.
 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Broomfield, CO 80021