doh!  not only did i not mention which version i'm using, i also
mispoke... mondays...

so, i'm using the latest tomcat 4.0 out of cvs (co'd this morning).

also, it's in the servlet init method, *not* it's service method where
the thread is created.

when i get some time, i'm going to try and recreate this in a small
example that i can post.

-kevin.