On Tue, 8 May 2001, Kief Morris wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] typed the following on 03:37 AM 5/8/2001 +0000
> >  Make it possible to disable DNS lookups of the remote host name, for
> >  Tomcat used stand-alone, even when the web app calls
> >  request.getRemoteHost().  Lookups are enabled by default -- disable them
> >  by modifying the <Connector ... disableLookups .../> attribute.
>
> I think it would be better to have DNS lookups _disabled_ by default (doesn't
> Apache httpd do this?). If someone really needs to get the hostname for
> their app, they can take the trouble to enable it, but the "out of the box
> experience" for Tomcat shouldn't be pig-slow for a probably unnecessary
> feature. IMHO of course. ;-)

I can see your point (having been brow-beaten in a discussion on this
topic late last night :-).  However, the counter-arguments are:

* Changing it to disabled by default would change behavior versus
  current Tomcats (of all generations), and possibly break apps that
  depend on host lookups.

* Newbie servlet developers expect the API calls to work the way that
  the name implies - disabled by default would lead to lots of questions.

I added a note in the default server.xml file with regards to potential
performance impacts.

> Kief

Craig