Wow, that was quick 8o) Always a good thing with install instructions!

Here's the update INSTALL.txt

Adam.

----
Adam Fowler
Help Desk Live Project
Information Services
University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Web guy+author on the TomcatBook Project
http://tomcatbook.sourceforge.net
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 21:58, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm gonna follow your doc to install tomcat 4 on mandrake tonight. I'll
> make change to it for *nix platforms and highlight them then e-mail you the
> revised copy 8o)
>
> Adam.
>
> ----
> Adam Fowler
> Help Desk Live Project
> Information Services
> University of Wales, Aberystwyth
> Web guy+author on the TomcatBook Project
> http://tomcatbook.sourceforge.net
> e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ----
>
> On Wednesday 18 July 2001 00:23, you wrote:
> > Along the right line?  Used the formatting from the TC4 readme files.
> >
> > Needs some polish.
> >
> > - r

                  Apache Tomcat Version 4.0 Beta 6
                  ================================
                            Install Guide
                            =============

<<< cvs keyword thing >>>

============
INTRODUCTION:
============

Welcome!

This document explains how to perform a stand-alone installation of the
Tomcat 4.0 servlet container.  Once you're up and running, you will have
access to the more detailed documentation locally via Tomcat's default
home page, as well as administration and sample applications.

As well, the documentation is available locally at:

    $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/docs/index.html

where $CATALINA_HOME is the root of the directory you extracted the Tomcat
files to.  The absolute latest version of the documentation is always
available online at the following URL:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/index.html

Because the documentation released with each version of Tomcat is the latest
as of that release, there is a good chance the online documentation will be
slightly updated.

NOTE: It is STRONGLY reccomended that you complete this minimal, stand-alone
installation before continuing on to more advanced topics.

===========
DOWNLOADING:
===========

In the rare occurence that you find yourself reading this file without
a copy of Tomcat 4 to install, you can obtain the latest version here

    http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.html

==========
INSTALLING:
==========

Fortunately, installing the Tomcat servlet container consists of a few,
easy steps: extract the archive, and set environment variables.

Of course, since Tomcat is written in Java, it is assumed that you have
install at least version 1.2 of the JDK.  You can download the JDK from
Sun at the following URL

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/

1) Unpack the files

    You've most likely completed this step already =)

    Lets say that for installation (A), you're on a Windows machine and
    you've unpacked the files to "C:\tomcat"

    Or for installation (B) on a *nix machine, you've unpacked it to
    "/usr/local/tomcat"

    ****
    cd /var
    (I thought TC should go in /var for most platforms???)
    mv <tomcat-download-file> /var/

    tar xzvf jakarta-tomcat-4.0-br.tar.gz
    OR
    unzip jakarta-tomcat-4.0-br.tar.Z
    tar xvf jakarta-tomcat-4.0-br.tar
    ****

2) Set your environment variables

    Tomcat 4 requires 2 environment variables: CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME.
    CATALINA_HOME should be set to the root of your Tomcat installation, and
    JAVA_HOME should be set to the root of your JDK installation.

    For the Win9X-series of operating systems, add the following lines to
    your C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

        SET CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcat
        SET JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk1.3.1

    In WinNT-based systems, you modify environment variables by first right-
    clicking on the "My Computer" icon, and going to "Properties".  In NT
    you get to the properties by doing THIS, and in 2000, by doing THIS.

    For *nix, is there any different for the different shells?  I'm no *nix
    expert by any means =)

    ****
    export CATALINA_HOME=/var/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b5
    export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.3

    NB This should either be done in a systemV startup script or /etc/profile to
    make it system wide. (Preferably startup script so its available on tomcat
    start on boot if required)
    ****

3) Start it

    To start the container, execute the script appropriate to your operating
    system.  The startup and shutdown scripts are named appropriately, and
    found in $CATALINA/bin.  For *nix, that will be the scripts ending with
    the "sh" extension, and for Windows, "bat".

    ****
    cd $CATALINA_HOME/bin
    ./startup.sh
    ****
    ****
    May also want to suggest the use of a startup/shutdown script. I'll edit my
    current one and post it on tomcat-user when done 8o)
    ****

4) Test it

    Fire up your web browser, and request

        http://localhost:8080/

    ...and you should be presented with the default Tomcat homepage.

===============
TROUBLESHOOTING:
===============

There are only really ***3*** things that can go wrong during the stand-alone
install:

1) The most common hiccup is when another web server (or any process for that
   matter) has laid claim to port 8080.  This is the default HTTP port that
   Tomcat attempts to bind to at startup.  To change this, open the file:

       $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml

   ...and search for '8080'.  Change it to a port that isn't in use.  Restart
   Tomcat and you're in business.  Be sure that you replace the "8080" in the
   URL you're using to access Tomcat.  For example, if you change the port
   to 1977, you would request http://localhost:1977/ with your browser.

   ****
   Make sure they don't try to do it as a normal user on a port <= 1024 as they
   won't have correct permissions
   ****

2) An "out of environment space" error when running the batch files in
   Win9X/ME-based operating systems.

   Right-click on the STARTUP.BAT and SHUTDOWN.BAT files.  Click on
   "Properties" then on the "Memory" tab.  For the "Initial environment" field,
   enter in something like 4096.

   After you click apply, Windows will create shortcuts in the directory with
   which you can use to start and stop the container.

****
3) If behind a proxy make sure the proxy configuration in mozilla/netscape has
localhost
as an extry for "no proxy for" under Edit/preferences advanced/proxies
****