On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Rob S. wrote:

> Anakia is cool! =)  I spent this morning getting familiar with it.  The VTL
> looks kind of PERLish, but the sample vsl's I was looking at seem pretty
> cool, not too complicated.  There isn't a vsl for the entire set of TC4
> docs.  We could always adopt the jakarta-site2 one, but I'd personally
> prefer if it looked a little cooler =p

If we're going to use Anakia, we should share the same stylesheet (which
is also used in several other Jakarta projets) so that the docs all have
the same look and feel.  Additions to the overall stylesheet are welcomed,
and can be discussed on the GENERAL@ mailing list (since they would affect
all projects that use this).

Also, I'm about 95% done with an XSLT stylesheet that behaves equivalent
to the current site.vsl macros -- for those of us (like me) who prefer to
use standard technologies (yes, Jon, the "s" word again :-).  This XSLT
stylesheet runs against the same XML files, and produces essentially
equivalent HTML.  It's executed using the Ant <style> tag (requires
Xerces+Xalan, or the JAXP/1.1 release that also includes Xalan).  I'll be
checking this in to jakarat-site2 shortly.

The only remaining issue I've got is the way that "site.vsl" uses the
"$relativePath" variable without defining it anywhere, in creating
relative URL references.  According to Geir there's nothing in Velocity
itself that predefines this, so it must be something magic Anakia is
doing.

The need for this thing is also questionable (it's an artifact of the way
that Jon wanted to create a multi-directory-level document set with one
stylesheet, and still having the navigation menu generarted correctly,
instead of dealing with each directory level individually).  But that can
be dealt with in a separate conversation.

> - r

Craig McClanahan