De : Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Envoyé : samedi 4 août 2001 04:08
À : '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Cc : '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Objet : Re: partial URLPatternMatching in Tomcat 4.0 (Servlet 2.3 spec)?

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Ru, Simon wrote:

> I wonder if Servlet 2.3's Filter allow partial URLPatternMatching.
Something
> like:
>
> <filter-mapping>
> <filter-name>timerFilter</filter-name>
> <url-pattern>/Controller?action=timer*</url-pattern>
> </filter-mapping>
> If it can, then we can use the Filtering mechanism as a controller to do
> request dispatching. We can avoid having thousands if statements in the
> Controller and we can easily modify the dispatching route without
recompile.

> If it can't, is it something worth enhancing? What needs to add to have
that
> capability? Thanks in advance.

While what you propose might be quite nice, Tomcat needs to conform to the
servlet spec's rules for what a legal <url-pattern> can contain -- it's
the same for both filter mappings and servlet mappings -- and this pattern
is not legal.

One strategy would be to match for "/Controller/*" and let the filter look
at the query parameters to decide whether or not to do anything
special.  Otherwise, it can just pass the request on unmolested.

> Simon Ru
> Software Engineer
> (510) 897-5331
> http://www.worldchain.com