>>why are you encoding the url?  DOing that will cause ? and = to be >>encoded
>>as %whatever; so the query string wont be interpreted as you
>>intend.

Not true, I am encoding the URL because I sometimes include quotes. It's not the
issue here though, since it behaves the same way without encoding the URL.

>>Having said that I'm not sure if it would work anyway (o:  Why
>>not set an attribute in the request and then forward the request as is >>and
have the servlet look for that attribute and act accordingly?

The dispatching code that handles the request expects a parameter to be set. The
same problem would still occur if I used an attribute anyway. I could also
implement my own request wrapper but that's what forward is designed to do so
why not use the servlet API?

>> btw - isn't this a tomcat-user question?

Not really, I don't think the spec is clear on this question, and it should be
made visible whether Tomcat4.0b7 support it or not. In any event, Tomcat4.0b7
throws the following exception when I try to do it.

Unexpected Error Encountered...
Cannot allocate servlet instance for path
/frn/servlet/FRNServlet.FRNServletInnerFrame
javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot allocate servlet instance for path
/frn/servlet/FRNServlet.FRNServletInnerFrame at
org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.serveRequest(InvokerServlet.java:406
) at org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.doGet(InvokerServlet.java:180)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:1125) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:1264) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java
:672) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward

cheesr
dim