I've seen lots of discussion on the user list desiring the ability to have
additional classpaths available to web applications, but not necessarily
available to all web apps.

Ideally, this could be specified in the web.xml file, but that would require
changing a spec, and I can think of some arguments against doing so anyway.

But, perhaps it would be possible to add classpath specifications in the
Server.xml file. Inside a context tag, you could specify something like
this:

<additional-classpath>~someuser/somedir/classes<additional-classpath>

Multiple occurrences of this would just add to the locations where classes
can be found.

An alternative for us would be to do something with the class loaders in our
own web apps, if that's possible, but I'd like to see Tomcat have the
functionality.

Can someone give me some pointers to get started adding this particular
configuration tag? I'd really appreciate it.

BTW, I'm currently working with the 4.0b7 codebase. Thanks!