on 8/29/01 3:23 PM, Rob S. at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> When I wrote the email, I wasn't implying that whatsoever, but I can see
> quite clearly now how it could be taken.  Apologies for that implication...

No worries; in fact, I really don't understand the mechanism. However, if it
helps me, I'd like to understand it. Since then, I've read about the
ClassLoader, SecurityManager, and System classes. I could experiment, but in
what I've read, I not sure I can install a new ClassLoader/SecurityManager
which will get used by all classes in my web app next time a class needs to
be loaded. Is there a way to specify the ClassLoader used by a context?

> Ok, let me get this straight now.  You're saying, "i want to point a web app
> to a location to load jars and classes from."  That already exists.  You put
> the jars in the WEB-INF/classes and lib directory.

Understood.

> Then the next thing is, "i want them to be visible to more than one web
> app."  That already exists too.  You put them in $CATALINE_HOME/common/lib
> and classes.

Didn't realize that one, closer to what I want. In the meantime, that will
probably solve my problem, however, it's not a general solution (see below).

> What do you want that Tomcat isn't already giving you? =)

I want to specify a subset of all installed contexts that have access. I
don't want all installed contexts to have access, just the ones I specify.

Now, to avoid changing the spec, which I understand to be the Servlet 2.2
spec, which also understand to specify the structure of the web.xml file, I
propose adding the functionality to the Server.xml file, which I believe to
be defined by the core developers. If this is not the case, well, it makes
my request more difficult.

TIA,

Roderick Mann               rmann @ latencyzero.com.sansspam